Surgery is Done

What a day of many emotions on so many different levels. I’m a little emotionally exhausted, but I wanted to provide a quick update!

First, Gracie’s surgery went great. We got off to a late start, so they did not start the actual surgery until around 12. We were told to expect the surgery be around 3.5 hours, but 2 hours later, we were done! Before we knew it, we were whisked away to a room to meet with our surgeon to discuss the surgery. He told us that he really couldn’t explain why the surgery was so short, only that everything just went perfectly.

I told him it’s because we had so many people praying for her.

Two ecstatic parents with Dr. Dabal. Thank you for literally saving our daughter's life.

Two ecstatic parents with Dr. Dabal. Thank you for literally saving our daughter’s life.

Thank you. I read all of your comments, posts, text messages, and emails and I cannot tell you what an impact that had on our family. I was brought to tears so many times from your outpouring of support. My friend, Becca, was right. The prayer of others is what sustained us.

We also had so many staff from Children’s come and find us because they had heard from one of you that we were here. Thank you for spreading the word. It is so nice to meet so many people that are in charge of caring for our Gracie. When we got to our CVICU room, we found out our nurse and nurse practicioner both go to our church and have other connections with us. Definitely ordained.

It’s hard to express the emotions of handing off your baby to strangers, knowing they are going to open her up, stop her heart, and operate on her. Completely overwhelming and terrifying. It is also amazing though! Gracie got her heart fixed. She will get to live a long and full life with her new heart.

We are currently weening Gracie off the ventilator so she will breathe fully on her own, and waiting for her to wake up. Please pray for this.

I won’t lie, she looks pretty bad. It was very shocking and it’s hard to see all the tubes and her huge incision. I’ll be grateful when she is breathing on her own and I can see her eyes.

Thank you again. Your prayers have meant so much.

Posted in Every Day Stuff
9 comments on “Surgery is Done
  1. Maggie says:

Hurray!!! I can’t wait to see how she grows now!

2. Regeana Funderburk says:

Helena Family Medicine had her in our hearts all day. Kept up with updates! Will continue to pray ! God Is Good!!

3. leneita says:

Been praying and will continue to keep praying. There is nothing like being able to know your little girl is alright!

4. Brooke mccollum says:

Love you….tears and hugs my friend!

5. Parys Shatp says:

So happy surgery went well and so glad WE serve such an AMAZING & LIVING GOD! Will continue praying! Y’all are a very special family and loved beyond words!!

6. Ashley Cottrell says:

I’m a friend of Becky Yates in Nashville and have been following your blog and praying for Gracie since she was born. I’ve been in your shoes. My now 11 year old son Carter had heart surgery at 2 weeks. He has special needs but I truly think his love for others and life is what makes him most special. I know some days it seems 1 step forward and 2 steps back but the love and prayers will get you through. So happy the surgery was a success today. God was in control. Continued prayers for you all.

7. chismael says:

Praying!

8. Ginger says:

I know God is giving you all the strength….and He is keeping you all in His arms!! I am so thankful the surgery is over…now each day will bring more exciting changes and experiences as Gracie grows. She is such a beautiful little girl….I am so proud of you, Les, and Jamie (and Gage) for the wonderful family you are…I know God picked just the right family for Gracie! Please know my prayers are constantly being said for Gracie’s continued health…and for strength for all of you!! With lots of love….Ginger

9. Jamie – I have been praying and will continue to pray for Gracie, for Gage and for you and Les. You will always be special to me because of the connection you and Adriane had when you were little girls. You and your sweet family have a special place in my heart. Keep trusting in God and letting Him guide you, strengthen you and comfort you.