Heart Surgery Update

Thank you all so much for your prayers for all of our upcoming appointments. It is such an encouragement to us and we appreciate you lifting our Gracie up with us. Your prayers and support mean so much.

We had our cardiology appointment at UAB yesterday. They did an EKG on Gracie…

Cardio2

Then an X-Ray…
Cardio3

And finally another echo (We had one when I was pregnant, and one as soon as Gracie was born).

Cardio6
Cardio7

The cardiologist saw two heart defects. We didn’t know about the second one until yesterday, but he seemed to think it wasn’t a big deal as far as repair goes and they will just clamp it when they fix her AV canal defect. From what the doctors are seeing, everything is in the highly manageable camp and everything else with her heart and anatomy look great. And the fact that she is eating and gaining weight is also great.

So What’s Next?

We will monitor Gracie over the next couple of months and when she is about 3 months old (around May), we will discuss surgery dates. Right now, we’re on a track to open heart surgery around 4-5 months old (June or July).

I’ll be honest, I was hoping to go in there and have the doctor say, “Wow! It’s a miracle! I don’t see the defect anymore!” 🙂 God may still do wonders with her heart over the next few months — and we believe without a doubt in His power to do so, but if she needs this surgery, we pray He gives the surgeons the wisdom and skill to operate on her precious heart — which will be the size of her fist. No matter what, God is sovereign. We don’t always understand these things, and open heart surgery is really painful to think about right now, but He is in control and we trust His plans for Gracie’s life are good and He will use her life to bring glory to Him.

So pray with us. Pray that Gracie continues to gain weight. Pray that she doesn’t develop any symptoms prior to surgery. Pray our faith would be strengthened as we learn how to trust God in new ways.

We are so grateful to God that He has entrusted us with Gracie and also for your love and support.

On A Lighter Note . . .

Having a newborn with down syndrome is about as normal as you can imagine! Gracie eats, sleeps, cries, loves ceiling fans, and chooses to poop as soon as I put a new diaper on her. Sound familiar to all you parents? Sound normal? It is. 🙂

Cardio1

Posted in Down Syndrome, Gracie
17 comments on “Heart Surgery Update
  1. bowhittenton says:

It’s amazing to me how many times a day that God prompts me to pray for Gracie and your entire family. I shared with a dear friend today about Gracie, and she is committed to praying. We may never meet you or anyone in your family, but we count it a privilege to go before the throne on your family’s behalf.

• jamieabradford says:

Wow! Thank you so much. What an encouragement to us. Thank you for praying with us. We are so amazed at the community of people God continues to bless us with meeting!

2. Mary Jo Musso Lorino says:

She is precious. She looks like a baby doll!

3. EVA ATCHLEY IKARD says:

Praying for Gracie and the rest of the family. I know God has his hand on her and he makes no mistakes. I pray God will continue to give you strength as parents to take care of Gracie and Gage. I love ya’ll very much.

4. Ashleigh knight says:

You continue to encourage me as a Christian. So thankful you are sharing your story with all of us! Praying for you and your sweet family. Xoxo

5. Mimi Reker says:

I have always believed let go and let God! Gracie is a beautiful gift of God.I will be praying for her and your beautiful family.
    all my love
    Mimi Reker

6. Naomi Gillespie says:

Gracie is so wonderfully beautiful , sweet precious princess, love ya’ll God Bless!!!

7. Kent Slemmons says:

My prayers continue. You guys are an incredible inspiration.

8. Rhonda Posey says:

She is so beautiful. I know she blesses your heart. Love & prayers for the days ahead.

9. Sherry Hewitson says:

I will be praying for Gracie! My daughter is having open heart surgery in the morning to repair a VSD murmur that was detected in the NICU after I had an emergency c-section at 34 weeks and 4 days she is 3 1/2 months old a preemie weighing 8 lbs 3 oz now 4 lbs at birth. God is good and I trust He will lay his hands on her during her surgery as He will lay his hands on your little Gracie! Funny, our daughters name is Meadow and her middle name is Grace 😊